Amanita xylinivolvata Tulloss : Cottony Volva Amanita
Technical description not yet available.
Amanita xylinivolva is a locally common species with a range extending from Andean Colombia to the “mountain islands” in high desert of the southwestern Arizona, U.S.A.
Its 15 – 70 mm wide cap is pale yellow and becomes paler (except sometimes for the central part) with aging. The volva is either absent from the cap or distributed on the cap as cottony white patches that sometimes become sordid with age.
The gills are free to narrowly adnate, subdistant to crowded, whitish to cream to pale buff in mass, and sordid white (sometimes with yellow tint) in side view. The short gills are truncate to subtruncate to attenuate.
The stipe is 45 – 135 x 4 – 13 mm, quickly loses its fragile skirt-like annulus, and usually has a cottony white, submembranous limb of volva on the top of a rather prominent bulb (10 – 25 x 15 – 30 mm).
The spores measure (6.2-) 8.0 – 10.2 (-12.2) x (5.2-) 7.2 – 9.5 (-10.8) µm and are globose to subglobose to broadly ellipsoid (infrequently ellipsoid and inamyloid. Clamps have not been found on bases of basidia.
Between the above cited extremes of its geographic range, this species has also been collected in Costa Rica and Mexico. The species is associated primarily with oaks and pines. — R. E. Tulloss
Photo: R. E. Tulloss (Arizona)
- Amanita Cultivation – Why It’s Impossible
- Amanita Species – Complete List of Amanita species
- Amanita DEATH CAP Poisonings – The REAL Truth
- Amanita muscaria & Christmas – An Overview
- Dispelling Myths About the Fly Agaric – by Anonymous
- Hidden Symbols & the Fiery God Plant – Moses and the Burning Bush Explained by Clark Heinrich
- The Inuits and Amanitas – more history of this Sacred plant
- Milk Thistle & Amanita muscaria Poisoning – A Helpful Discussion
- Moses and the Burning Bush – Did he ingest Soma and see God?
- Mushrooms & Fungi – Trivia & Strange Facts
- Red Cap Mushroom the Ancient Soma? – by R. Gordon Wasson
- Soma, Jesus, Cannabis, and Religion – Criminalizing Jesus
- Soma: My Angels of Mercy – A personal healing account!
- The Resurrection of Santa
- The Fly Agaric and Shamanism – by James Arthur
- The Wapaq Tribe – Their Mushroom Cult