Amanita pantherina : European Panther
Technical description not yet available.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: (t.b.d.)
The spores measure (7.5-) 9.0 – 12.0 (-14.0) x (5.2-) 6.2 – 8.2 (-9.8) µm and are broadly ellipsoid to ellipsoid (occasionally elongate) and inamyloid. Clamps are rare at bases of basidia.
This species was originally described from France. It is a species of Europe and western Asia. Material described as A. pantherina in the Americas seems to belong to a number of distinct taxa only some of which have been described: A. multisquamosa Peck, A. pantherina var. pantherinoides (Murrill) Dav. T. Jenkins, and A. velatipes G. F. Atk. are examples.. There are also a number of taxa in eastern and southern Asia to which the name A. pantherina has been mistakenly applied. Among those of these mushrooms there are some which have been described (such as A. subglobosa Zhu L. Yang, A. parvipanthera Zhu L. Yang, M. Weiss & Oberw., and A. pseudopantherina Zhu L. Yang nom. prov.), while others are not yet treated in the literature.
I believe that there is at least one good icon of this mushroom in the collection at the University of Montpellier herbarium. It may date from the period when DeCandolle was on the faculty. [I would appreciate receiving more information on the painting.]
The species is toxic and produces dramatic symptoms similar to those of A. muscaria (L.:Fr.) Pers. — R. E. Tulloss
Photo: R. E. Tulloss (The Netherlands)
- Amanita Cultivation – Why It’s Impossible
- Amanita Species – Complete List of Amanita species
- Amanita DEATH CAP Poisonings – The REAL Truth
- Amanita muscaria & Christmas – An Overview
- Dispelling Myths About the Fly Agaric – by Anonymous
- Hidden Symbols & the Fiery God Plant – Moses and the Burning Bush Explained by Clark Heinrich
- The Inuits and Amanitas – more history of this Sacred plant
- Milk Thistle & Amanita muscaria Poisoning – A Helpful Discussion
- Moses and the Burning Bush – Did he ingest Soma and see God?
- Mushrooms & Fungi – Trivia & Strange Facts
- Red Cap Mushroom the Ancient Soma? – by R. Gordon Wasson
- Soma, Jesus, Cannabis, and Religion – Criminalizing Jesus
- Soma: My Angels of Mercy – A personal healing account!
- The Resurrection of Santa
- The Fly Agaric and Shamanism – by James Arthur
- The Wapaq Tribe – Their Mushroom Cult