Amanita crenulata : Poison Champagne Amanita
Technical description not yet available.
Amanita crenulata is a very common species of the northeastern U.S.A., occurring most frequently in the Autumn, often in groups with Amanita muscaria var. guessowii Veselý.
Its cap is very pale to pale tan with varying degrees of yellow and/or gray tones. The volva is distributed over the 22 – 90 mm wide cap as powdery, somewhat paler warts. (Their color has been called “champagne.”) The cap’s marginal striations take up only 10 – 20% of the cap radius.
The gills are narrowly adnate, close to subcrowded, and white to cream. The short gills are truncate to subtruncate or (occasionally) subattenuate.
The stipe is 17 – 100 x 3.5 – 16 mm and has a skirt-like annulus that is often quickly lost or left in torn fragments on the pileus margin. The notable bulb usually bears a distinct ring of champagne volval powder on its “shoulder.”
The spores measure (5.9-) 7.3 – 10.2 (-14.2) x (4.8 -) 6.2 – 8.8 (-14.2) µm and are subglobose to broadly ellipsoid to ellipsoid (infrequently globose or elongate) and inamyloid. Clamps are absent from the bases of basidia.
The species is associated primarily with oaks and diverse conifers.
The species is toxic and produces dramatic symptoms similar to those of A. muscaria (L.:Fr.) Pers. and A. pantherina (DC.:Fr.) Krombh. — R. E. Tulloss
Photos: R. E. Tulloss (New Jersey)
- Amanita Cultivation – Why It’s Impossible
- Amanita Species – Complete List of Amanita species
- Amanita DEATH CAP Poisonings – The REAL Truth
- Amanita muscaria & Christmas – An Overview
- Dispelling Myths About the Fly Agaric – by Anonymous
- Hidden Symbols & the Fiery God Plant – Moses and the Burning Bush Explained by Clark Heinrich
- The Inuits and Amanitas – more history of this Sacred plant
- Milk Thistle & Amanita muscaria Poisoning – A Helpful Discussion
- Moses and the Burning Bush – Did he ingest Soma and see God?
- Mushrooms & Fungi – Trivia & Strange Facts
- Red Cap Mushroom the Ancient Soma? – by R. Gordon Wasson
- Soma, Jesus, Cannabis, and Religion – Criminalizing Jesus
- Soma: My Angels of Mercy – A personal healing account!
- The Resurrection of Santa
- The Fly Agaric and Shamanism – by James Arthur
- The Wapaq Tribe – Their Mushroom Cult