Amanita bingensis : African Red-Volva Amanita
Technical description not yet available.
This description is based on that of Beeli (1935) with additions from notes of recent collectors, etc.
The cap of A. bingensis is fleshy and firm and 40 – 75 mm wide; it is globose at first becoming expanded-convex, with a striate margin . It is pale yellow and covered with orange-red, pulverulent remnants of the volva. Its context is white..
The gills are subfree, attenuate at both ends, white edged with yellow or “yellowish apricot”, and 4± mm broad. Beeli provided no information on the short gills.
The stipe is 90 x 5 – 7 mm, yellow-orange and cylindric with a white bulbous base; its context is white and stuffed. The stipe is exannulate and decorated in the lower portion with orange-red remains of the pulverulent volva.
The taste is said to be sweet. The odor is not recorded.
The species was not known to be eaten by informants of David Arora.
The spores [from recently collected Zambian material] measure (7.3-) 7.5 – 9.8 (-11.0) x (4.5-) 5.1 – 6.5 (7.6) µm and are broadly ellipsoid to ellipsoid to elongate and inamyloid.
Amanita bingensis occurs scattered in dry tropical forest.
This species, described originally from Congo, is known only from Central Africa. — R. E. Tulloss
Photo: David Arora (Zambia (Copper Belt Prov.)
- Amanita Cultivation – Why It’s Impossible
- Amanita Species – Complete List of Amanita species
- Amanita DEATH CAP Poisonings – The REAL Truth
- Amanita muscaria & Christmas – An Overview
- Dispelling Myths About the Fly Agaric – by Anonymous
- Hidden Symbols & the Fiery God Plant – Moses and the Burning Bush Explained by Clark Heinrich
- The Inuits and Amanitas – more history of this Sacred plant
- Milk Thistle & Amanita muscaria Poisoning – A Helpful Discussion
- Moses and the Burning Bush – Did he ingest Soma and see God?
- Mushrooms & Fungi – Trivia & Strange Facts
- Red Cap Mushroom the Ancient Soma? – by R. Gordon Wasson
- Soma, Jesus, Cannabis, and Religion – Criminalizing Jesus
- Soma: My Angels of Mercy – A personal healing account!
- The Resurrection of Santa
- The Fly Agaric and Shamanism – by James Arthur
- The Wapaq Tribe – Their Mushroom Cult